This is the easiest butter & honey popcorn recipe because it’s for the drizzle only. Buy or make your popcorn however you like, then drizzle it with this sweet honey mixture!
Looking to satisfy your sweet tooth on movie night? Tired of Kettle Corn? It’s time to try honey popcorn!
Most popcorn lovers have their preferred way of popping popcorn, whether it’s using an air popper, air fryer, stovetop, dutch oven, or microwave. They’ve got the popping part of popcorn down pat.
So, we decided to create a simple honey popcorn recipe that works with whichever popping method you prefer, or even if you buy pre-popped popcorn from the store. This easy recipe uses a few simple ingredients to create a drizzle that turns any popcorn into honey butter popcorn.
We also include a variation to turn it into cinnamon honey popcorn!
We use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on purchases at no added cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Why We Love Honey Popcorn
Honey popcorn is a great alternative to homemade kettle corn, as it still gives a hint of sweetness to your favorite treat. It’s easier to make than kettle corn or caramel corn, especially with our recipe, since you can drizzle it over any bowl of popcorn.
Trust us. This drizzle will quickly become a family favorite during movie time or game night. It even makes a great school snack! Simply pack the drizzled popcorn in an airtight container and pop it in your kiddo’s lunch bag.
Some Quick Tips
As you’ll see, this is a very easy popcorn recipe, but we have a few quick tips for you.
1. Be mindful of how sweet or buttery the popcorn you’re going to pour this over is, to begin with. Since this is a butter and honey mixture, you don’t want to end up with too buttery or too sweet of popcorn. Some people may say, “There’s no such thing as too buttery or sweet!” but if you’re not one of those people, go with plain or “original” popcorn.
2. Be mindful of what type of butter you use. If your popcorn is already salty, use unsalted butter to make this recipe. You can always add salt to taste after the fact, (preferably sea salt!).
3. There are two ways to get a good even coat of honey drizzle over your popcorn. First is to use a very large bowl to easily shake and toss the popcorn around as you drizzle it.
The second way is to spread your popcorn onto a cookie sheet or parchment paper and then methodically drizzle it with the honey mixture.
4. Make sure you drizzle quickly! This drizzle thickens quickly, so be sure to coat your popcorn while it’s still warm. However, you’ll need to toy with the timing a bit, as any hot drizzle can cause popcorn to shrivel.
If you don’t mind a bit of shriveling, pour away! Otherwise, try to wait until it has cooled just enough to still be pourable yet isn’t too hot to shrink all your popcorn.
PRO TIP: If you don’t want your popcorn to shrivel from a hot topping, buy pre-popped popcorn. Like kettle corn, pre-popped popcorn is usually made with mushroom kernels, which are stiffer than your standard butterfly popcorn kernels.
5. The recipe includes an option to add cinnamon. Try it both ways and see which way you like better!
Easiest Honey Popcorn Recipe (Drizzle Only)Difficulty: Easy
This honey popcorn recipe is for the drizzle only. So, all you need to do is mix it up and drizzle it over whatever popcorn you have prepared, whether it’s air-popped, pre-popped, or microwavable.
This recipe makes enough honey drizzle for a large bowl of popcorn (approximately 3 servings).
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
salt to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the honey until well mixed.
- Remove the honey butter from the heat, and mix in vanilla and optional cinnamon.
- Drizzle the honey butter mixture over your popcorn, tossing it in the extra large bowl until it’s evenly coated.
- Sprinkle popcorn with salt to taste.